Saturday, July 19, 2008

Engaged To N-Gage

This entire vacation I had been trying to get that new N-Gage 2.0 onto my N73......Nokia's N-Gage site lists that N73, N92,N93i(my friend RV's baby) are all compatible but they still say that support is Coming Soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(the greater the exclamation marks,the later it's gonna get).So what do all of us do???? Sit & Wait?????

Not really..........

The only way out is to hack , crack & bend the rules....There are actually 2 ways I found out that one can install N-Gage 2.0 on compatible phones (till Nokia guys wake up from their vodka induced slumber).One uses the USB connection the other can be done via bluetooth.........
But first things first.....you should have a 3rd party file manager like X-Plore installed(download)
to access the system folders & hidden files which Nokia so zealously guards.

So here they go.................

  • Via USB Data Cable:
  1. Download the N-Gage pack from here.
  2. Install the NGageInstaller.sisx- keep twiddling your thumbs till it installs..........it takes a long time (15-20 mins).
  3. Press OK when the installer says "Symbian OS pips Missing".
  4. Install pips_s60_1_2_SS.sis given in the zip file.
  5. Install ngage_autostart_204.sis
  6. The 2 other files 20001079.txt and copy.txt must wait till we hack the phone.
Hacking the Phone:
Actually no such thing...........just a roundabout to escaping certificate expired errors(which one faces more often than not).
  1. Download the BiNPDA hack tools
  2. Install s60_3_0_app_trk_2_7.sisx
  3. Connect the phone using the USB cable in PC Suite mode (& not Mass storage).
  4. After installing this go to your Applications folder in the phone and run TRK

6.It will startup in bluetooth mode, cancel it and go to Options ---> Settings ---> Connection ---> USB
7.Once you choose the USB connection you should see Status as "Connected" in TRK.
8.Now run SecMan.exe in your PC. Follow the steps shown in Information and you are all set to rock on...
9.For ppl who missed out the steps shown in Information, Click Next when you come to the "Select Metro TRK com port". Keep "Find Metro TRK port automatically" checked.
10.After the installation is done go to your phone apps folder, run SecMan, options ---> Install root certificate.
11.Now do you remember text files we saw a little while ago,

The file 20001079.txt has to be pasted in the location c:\private\10202be9\. The file copy.txt just has the instruction to where the 20001079.txt file is to be pasted.

Since the file has to be pasted in a location in the phone memory C:, the phone has to be hacked first to have access to the private folder in C:. In SecMan select "Turn Plat. Security OFF". Now use X-plore or any other 3rd party file browser to copy the file 20001079.txt to the specified location.

Turn ON the plat.Security once your are done copying the file. This is very important.Be careful with this, and make sure Platform Security is turned ON when playing N-Gage games.


Now, all these steps should really have got your head spinning..........It looks like the manual to dismantle an Atom Bomb. So we present to you Bluetooth ,our manna from heaven........
No wires , no hassles & hell , no 22 steps!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Installing Via Bluetooth:
  1. Download & Install HelloCarbide.
  2. Download and keep Installserver.
  3. Open X-Plorer provided.Goto options->tools--Config and tick on 1st four options.Goto main page of X-lorer(i mean back) then press Menu Key so that u leave it in background
  4. Start HelloCarbide->Options->Menu1. it will say 18 messages. Say YES to all of them. It will crash. That is OK
  5. Move installserver.exe to Phone.
  6. Switch to X-plorer,Move installserver.exe to c:/sys/Bin
  7. Install the N-Gage Pack(3 files)


    RESTART YOU DEVICE, its compulsory......

Now you are all set to rock with N-Gage 2.0...........It would be there in your applications folder.Open it once & wait for it needs a lot of RAM to start.Better close the music player.

1 comment:

Amit... said...

Hey Buddy !! I read your entire post..but believe me I'm such a rookie in this, that I hardly understood anything. I think u'll need to sit down with me for hours and make my N70m a more useful entity, because everything I do with it is simply call, sms or listen to music sumtyms.(I used the video camera a lot in early days). I guess I really need you to at least get my basics right.

Anyways...nice to see your post...RV had written something like this on his blog too, but it was just too witless for my ingenious...Maybe you can relish it really well...but I hope I'll really enjoy the exposure to technology once I'm set with my basics. ( sometimes it's very embarrassing to even admit that.)